Alcohol Free Fruit Spritzer
New Years is coming up very soon. I’m so excited about it. I love New Years and I am so excited for 2016! I was thinking about what sort of food is typically made at New Years, and it struck me that New Years is not really about the food, it’s more about the alcohol. Since I am alcohol free, I usually get given soft drink at any sort of event, and I don’t even drink soft drink because as a dental hygienist, I think soft drink is the worst thing you can do to your teeth. Soft drink not only has exceedingly high versions of refined sugar, which leads to tooth decay but also high levels of acid which can strip your teeth of enamel. And no, the diet ones are not any better, in fact in my opinion, they are worse. Although the sugar content is lower or none at all, diet soft drinks have higher levels of phosphoric acid, which is the acid most responsible for dental erosion, loss of bone density and kidney problems. Beyond this diet soft drink are usually sweetened with artificial sweeteners such as aspartame, which has a whole host of negative health affects.
Now that that rant is over, lets talk about a much healthier, refined sugar free and alcohol free drink fit for a New Years celebration. This Fruit Spritzer is so refreshing and colourful, rich in vitamins and minerals and a perfect drink for a warm New Years Summer night. I must still stress that although this drink is much lower in sugar and acid, the citric acid from lemons and carbonated water can still damage your teeth so please use a straw and by pass your teeth.
The recipe is adapted from the “Sugar Free Cooking” cookbook by Sue Quinn.
|Alcohol Free Fruit Spritzer|| |
- 1 peach
- 6 - 8 fresh lychees
- handful of fresh mint
- 1 small lemon
- ½ tsp grated fresh ginger
- handful of frozen berries, I used raspberries, blueberries and blackberries
- sparkling water
- remove stone from peach and cut flesh into small cubes.
- Peal lychees
- Zest lemon and then slice the lemon into thin slices
- In a bowl mix together peach, lychees, lemon zest, lemon slices, mint and grated ginger.
- Divide mixture into 2 glasses
- Top with frozen berries
- Pour sparkling water over the fruit to fill the glass and garnish with extra mint
- Use your straw to mix and squish as much of the juices out of the fruit to release more flavour as you drink it. Enjoy and Happy New Year!