Chocolate Buckwheat Superfood Granola
Needless to say, this granola tastes more like a dessert than breakfast and to makes things even better it is loaded with superfoods! I tried out this recipe when I was looking for new ways to get buckwheat into my diet. If you are new to buckwheat, you may be surprised to know that buckwheat is not a grain, but a seed. Although for all intensive purposes it acts a little bit more like a grain. Buckwheat has been shown to be excellent at lowering cholesterol levels, it also has properties that maximises the use of vitamin C in your body and is high in minerals including magnesium. Combine that with the myriads of nutrients found in all the other superfoods like cacao powder, goji berries and chia seeds and you have one very nutritious breakfast. I like to eat this with lots of fruit and my vanilla soy yogurt . If you pour your favourite milk over it, it tastes just like coco pops. Its also great to sprinkle on things like smoothie bowels and chia puddings.
This recipe makes quite a lot for only two people, but it lasts for ages in the fridge. I prefer to make granola in big batches so it lasts a while, but feel free to half the recipe if there are not too many of you in you household. You can find the original recipe at “My New Roots” Here is the link . The recipe is vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free
|Chocolate Buckwheat Superfood Granola|| |
- 3 cups rolled oats (gluten free if necessary)
- 1 cup raw buckwheat
- 1 ½ cups shredded coconut
- 1 cup raw almonds
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup cacoa powder
- ¼ cup goji berries
- Preheat oven to 175 C.
- Combine and mix all dry ingredients except cacao powder and goji berries in a large bowl. Roughly chop almonds and add them to the mixture.
- In a separate bowl combine maple syrup, cacao powder, vanilla and coconut oil. Mix until it creates a thick smooth sauce.
- Pour chocolate sauce mixture over dry ingredients and fold through. Make sure everything is evenly coated in the chocolate sauce.
- Press down granola evenly in a large baking tray and bake for about 30 minutes. You can stop half way through to mix and flip granola but I don't find that it needs it.
- Allow granola to cool and then mix through goji berries. Transfer to airtight container and store in the fridge.