Creamy Banana and Cashew Butter Millet Porridge
I was not intending on doing a blog post about this recipe because it is very simple, but since a few people have asked on Instagram I thought I might as well stop being slack and put it up here as well.
Recently I have been experimenting with freezing cooked grains. I make a massive batch and then store it in the freezer to pop out whenever I want to make porridge or sprinkle in salads etc. It saves so much time! I never have time to make myself a warm breakfast in the morning before rushing off to work, but this way all you have to do is pop your container in the microwave for a minute or two, transfer the grain to the stove to warm up with some almond milk and your done in 5 minutes! At the moment I have only experimented freezing quinoa and millet, but I have read that you can freeze pretty much any cooked grain without a problem. I will most likely do bulgur and farro sometime soon as well.
I have received a few comments from people who have said they have not tried millet before. Millet is so delicious! It is naturally gluten free just like quinoa but has a milder taste and creamier texture. If you keep cooking millet it will turn into a creamy porridge where as quinoa doesn’t get mushy, at least not how I cook it. Millet is cooked like quinoa, using double the amount of liquid. When the liquid is all absorbed you get a fluffy millet that still holds it shape. This is the point where I freeze it because this way you can add it to salads and easily mix it through. If you add more liquid millet will become mushy and creamy like a porridge.
In this particular recipe I was on a mission to make the creamiest batch of millet porridge possible and I think I succeeded. It is now my most favourite way to eat millet porridge!
You will also notice a stylish set of ear phones in the bottom photos. They are from Sudio Sweden and if you would like to buy a pair you can get 15% off using the discount code hazelandcacao I did not intend for the photos to end up on a blog post but they are here now so I might as well tell you about the discount code ! http://www.sudiosweden.com/au/
|Creamy Banana and Cashew Butter Millet Porridge|| |
- ½ cup dried millet ( or 1 cup pre cooked millet )
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup almond milk or other plant based milk
- 2 small ripe bananas - mashed
- 2 TBSP cashew butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of cinnamon ( optional)
- Berries or toppings of choice
- In a small saucepan combine your millet with water, bring to the boil and then simmer stirring occasionally until the water has absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- If you use pre cooked millet do not add the water, just skip the above step and move on to adding the rest of the ingredients.
- Keep a low heat on your stove and add your mashed banana, vanilla and cinnamon and mix through
- Slowly add your almond milk a little bit at a time and keep mixing until the millet starts looking like a creamy porridge.
- Add your cashew butter and melt it down into your porridge.
- Add more almond milk if needed.
- Remove from stove and serve with an extra splash of almond milk, mixed berries, nuts and seeds. Use whatever toppings you like!