I’ve been making this pasta for the longest time. I’ve actually photographed it twice before but was never happy with how the photos turned out so I never ended up uploading the recipe. Don’t you hate it how sometimes the yummiest dishes can look so boring? It definitely takes a lot more convincing.
This was one of the first recipes I tried veganising because I used to love creamy mushroom pasta! It was what I ordered every time I went anywhere Italian, in fact I’m pretty sure it was one of my all time favourite dishes! I was the one that introduced my husband to it and he fell in love with it too! We used to be regulars at a couple of Italian restaurants in Melbourne and later Bendigo, when we lived there and we both used to order the same thing every time. I I also had a recipe that I used to make at home using double cream . It used to taste delicious but I would feel absolutely disgusting by the end of the meal and I could never finish it off.
I came up with the sauce after trialling a bunch of different vegan versions online , I tweaked them all to my liking and ended up with this creamy sauce that I use on a lot of other pasta and risotto dishes . The best thing about this is that it’s very creamy thick and delicious but you can eat a lot of it without feeling like absolute crap in the end. Plus it’s a lot more nourishing than the real thing. My husband prefers it over all the creamy pastas we used to eat and told me he would pay big money to have this recipe served to him at a restaurant. The baby liked it too! Although he won’t eat the mushrooms (yet). Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
|Creamy Vegan Mushroom Pasta|| |
- Pasta of choice (I used wholemeal penne)
- 2 punnets button mushrooms or mushrooms of choice
- 1 onion diced
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- ⅓ cup cashews
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp tahini
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 TBSP nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley as garnish
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a blender place cashews , soy milk , tahini , paprika , nutritional yeast and lemon juice. Allow to sit as you prepare the rest of the meal so the cashews can absorb the liquid .
- Wash and chop mushrooms into thick slices and set aside . You don't need to be neat.
- Dice onion and fry in a little olive oil over medium heatuntil translucent . Add crushed garlic and fry for a couple more minutes until fragrant.
- Add chopped mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms have deducted in size and all the water they give off has evaporated. Add salt and pepper as you go.
- Blend sauce in the blender until smooth and creamy.
- Drain pasta once cooked and add to mushroom mixture .
- Pour over creamy sauce and mix well to combine.
- Adjust seasoning and mix through chopped fresh parsley .