Easy Vegan Almond Feta Cheese
Feta Cheese has been by far the hardest thing for me to replace (tasty cheese is a close second) . Feta was and still is a pretty big part of my diet. Feta can make any salad taste good and I seriously love it. I have tried so many store bought vegan varieties that I absolutely hated (why do they insist on garlic?? Real Feta has no garlic!) and searched many recipes online that I found either very unauthentic or too complicated to make.
I’m so happy that I have found the easiest vegan alternative to Feta. One day I decided to bake my almond cream cheese recipe and see what happened and it worked! It lacks the high calorie fatty feel of real Feta but if you use it like I do with lots of olive oil and lemon or balsamic it really takes on the Feta taste very very well. I first tried it on my brother and husband in a bruschetta for lunch (pictured below ) and they could not tell the difference.
The cheese smells really good while its baking, kind of like cookies or a cake. It doesn’t keep its shape too well but is very easy to crumble and if you leave it in the fridge it slices quite well after a couple of days. It also last a really long time because almonds don’t go off very easy. You can get two weeks easy although it can dry out a bit. Basically I love it and as always its easy to make! Enjoy!
|Easy Vegan Almond Feta Cheese|| |
- 1 cup blanched whole almonds (soaked for a few hours if your blender is not strong enough)
- ½ cup water
- juice ½ lemon
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- Blend all ingredients together in high speed blender and blend until you get a cheese paste.
- Transfer to small ramekin dish or oven safe dish of your choosing and bake for about 30 mins at 180 C. The top will get a golden crust, the inside will remain a bit moist and crumbly.
- Allow to cool then crumble like normal feta and enjoy!
- Store in fridge for up to 2 weeks