Homemade Chocolate Peppermint Squares
I found it really difficult to do these little peppermint squares justice. No matter how careful I am cutting them out or what shape I create them in, they just do not look anywhere near as good as they taste! When I was little, every once in a while my dad used to buy me a box of chocolate peppermint sticks. I never found out where he got them from because I have never seen them in the supermarkets or any of the usual places. It made them all the more special to me. I used to love them so much I would hide them under my bed so no one else could eat any. I would occasionally share some with my brother and it was our little secret. But thankfully for me, he was not really as much of a sweet tooth as I was so I still ate most of them. I stumbled across this recipe from “Living Healthy with Chocolate’ (link here) The original recipe is actually a chocolate peppermint stick! So you can imagine my excitement when I found them, and they taste almost identcial. As a general rule I tend to adapt most of the recipe’s I come across. Not in this case. The only real thing I changed is the shape. And that was because I am simply not neat enough to cut them into perfect sticks! So unlike my favourite peppermint chocolate sticks, these are refined sugar free, full of healthy fats, plant protein, vegan, paleo and gluten free.
|Homemade Chocolate Peppermint Squares|| |
- 6 TBSP melted coconut oil
- 4 TBSP cacao powder
- 4 TBSP almond butter
- 2 TBSP raw honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- pinch of sea salt
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- ½ cup pecans
- In a food processor, process the pecans until finely ground. Add the desiccated coconut and set aside.
- Place all the remaining ingredients in a small saucepan or double boiler over low to medium heat and mix until almond butter has melted and mixture has completely combined.
- Remove from heat and mix in the pecans and coconut.
- Pour into a square baking tray and smooth out the mixture.
- Freeze for a few hours until mixture has set.
- Once set cut into squares. Enjoy!