Instant Chocolate Banana Oatmeal
I would like to introduce you to the breakfast I have been having most often since I had my baby. Originally I had made this recipe as an overnight chocolate oats but since having bub my constant search for extra time has led me to discover that you can actually eat this oatmeal straight away with no need to soak overnight or even for an hour.
The trick is to be careful with the rolled oats that you use. I happened to have a stock full of very fine rolled oats that easily absorb liquid and turn into the right consistency. The recipes still works with thicker oats but will most likely require more liquid. Alternatively you can use quick oats, which is just rolled oats cut up finer to increase absorption. I live in a very warm climate so I prefer my oats cold but there is no reason you cant heat your oats in the microwave if you like warm oatmeal. You can even heat them up on the stove if you have the time, but the beauty of this dish is that there is no need to do any of that. Just throw the ingredients in a bowl and your ready to eat.
The recipe has a good amount of protein and healthy fats from the seeds and is loaded with antioxidants from cacao. I love to eat mine with fresh berries and a big dollop of nut butter on top. I have it about 2-3 times a week and is honestly one of my all time favourites, I just can not get sick of it!
|Instant Chocolate Banana Oatmeal|| |
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 TBSP cacao powder
- 1 TBSP chia seeds
- 1 TBSP flax seeds
- ½ cup rolled or quick oats
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- drop vanilla extract
- ½ cup almond milk ( or more depending on preferred consistency)
- Berries and nut butter as topping.
- Mash the banana directly in your breakfast bowl
- Add all the ingredients except almond milk and toppings and mix a little to combine
- Pour almond milk and mix well until oatmeal texture forms. You can add more milk if needed.
- Add toppings and enjoy straight away.
- For warm oatmeal heat in microwave or stove top