Mostly Raw Cookies and Cream Vegan Cheesecake
I originally made this cheesecake a long time ago using chocolate chips, but decided I didn’t like the texture. Chocolate chips go very very hard when they are in the freezer and I didn’t like munching on them. It sort of wrecked the smoothness of the filling. I told myself the next time I made it I would find a way to get the real cookies and cream experience. I ended up making a massive batch of banana flour double chocolate cookies a while a go. I made so many because I was completely out of my depth experimenting with the recipe since I had never used banana flour before. I decided to re purpose a few of them and made cookie sandwiches with peanut butter and then I remembered this cookies and cream cheesecake idea! The banana flour cookies worked great because banana flour is drier than most flours and the cookies come out with a firmer texture. This means that they wont disintegrate when mixed with the cheesecake filling. It turned out absolutely perfect! The cookie chunks held their shape but at the same time blended seamlessly with the filling, just like the real cookies and cream. I could not get enough of this cake. Plus there is something about cookies and cream that makes me feel like a child again and I love that.
You do not have to use my banana flour cookies in this recipe, you can use any chocolate cookie you want, but I would suggest trying to find a drier cookie with a hard texture. I actually feel like those horrible unhealthy chocolate cookies you get for the supermarket would work pretty well because they are so tough sometime you think your going to break your teeth on them. I don’t suggest using them because they are full of preservatives and horrible ingredients but if you can find a healthy ready made chocolate cookies by all means, save your self some time and use them. If you wanted to keep this recipe completely raw you can blitz together some oats, dates and cacao powder and then crumble the mixture through your cheesecake filling. I think it would be yummy but not very authentic.
This recipe was inspired by Allyson Kramer. If you are interested in my banana flour cookie recipe you can find it here: http://hazelandcacao.com/vegan-double-choc-banana-flour-cookies/
|Mostly Raw Cookies and Cream Vegan Cheesecake|| |
- 1 cup almond meal
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 3 TBSP coconut oil
- 2 cups cashews (soaked in water for at least 4 hours)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup water
- ½ TBSP vanilla extract
- 1½ TBSP coconut oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- For the base: in a bowl mix the base ingredients with a fork until the mixture comes together and becomes sticky
- Press on to the base and sides of a small spring form pan and set aside. I just use my fingers for this but you can use the bottom of a glass or tablespoon.
- For the filling: In a blender blend all filling ingredients except cookie chunks until smooth and creamy.
- Gently fold in your cookie chunks with a spatula. Reserve some of the cookie chunks to sprinkle on top of the cake
- Pour your filling over the base of your cake. Sprinkle with a few extra cookie chunk pieces.
- Freeze the cake in the freezer for at least 4 hours or overnight until set.
- Allow to thaw slightly before serving.