I always see so many beautiful layered desserts when browsing through Instagram . I’ve tried a few myself but have never had luck with making them even. I’m the furthest thing from a perfectionist . My priorities are to get things done quickly and efficiently but unfortunately that means I really struggle with making things neat! This dessert is no exception but I do think it turned out a little better than many of my other layered desert attempts !
I actually made this dessert a couple of weeks before we moved interstate when I was desperately trying to use up as much stuff as I could from our fridge and pantry and I had a few strawberries I didn’t want to go to waste.
The recipe is adapted from the front cover of a coles magazine (the free supermarket magazines) . I kept the filling mostly the same but changed the base to accomodate for the ingredients I had on hand. It has a very creamy texture and I’m so glad I have it a go because now I’m a lot more comfortable using coconut cream in raw desserts. I avoided using it for the longest time because I was afraid the coconut flavour would overpower the dessert, but I actually find it very mild! More mild that coconut milk and it has an amazing creamy texture ! The recipe is raw, vegan ,dairy free, refined sugar free and gluten free. Hope you enjoy .
|Raw Vegan Strawberry Cream Slice|| |
- 1¼ cup walnuts
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 10 - 15 pitted dates
- Pinch of sea salt flakes
- 3 cups raw cashews (soaked for about 3-4 hours or overnight)
- 1 can coconut cream
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup strawberries, coarsely chopped
- Thinly sliced strawberries, to serve
- In a food processor add the walnuts, shredded coconut and dates and pulse until sticky and crumbly. Start with 10 dates and keep adding if the mixture doesn't stick. Or you can add 1 TBSP of oil or water.
- Press into the bottom of a lined square baking tin and set aside.
- For the filling: add all the ingredients except the strawberries in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour half of the mixture over the base, smooth and place in the freezer to set for a couple of hours.
- Add the strawberries to the remaining mixture in the blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour over the white layer, smooth and place back in freezer to set for another 2 hours
- Serve with sliced strawberries