It’s been years and years since I’ve made waffles. My old waffle machine broke a few years ago and I was too stubborn to buy another one until I found a square shaped one. I almost paid a decent amount of money for a good one but when it came too it they sold out and I was left with none for another year! I randomly stumbled across a square waffle iron in target for only $15. I’m sure it won’t last me long (especially since the baby has already thrashed it around a bit) but it will do me for a while ! I was too excited not to buy it even if it’s bad quality.
I made these super simple spelt banana waffles by tweaking one of my favourite pancake recipes . They turned out very fluffy ! In hindsight I probably should have left them in the machine a little longer to get some crispness around the edges but they were delicious none the less.
Its a very easy recipe to make, comes together in no time and is full proof. You can swap out the spelt with literally any flour you want especially if you prefer to keep it gluten free (spelt is very low gluten though) Works with buckwheat and quinoa and most other flours! There is also no added sweetener at all, just banana although the extra syrup on top sweetens things up a fair bit. I shared the recipe with my family and we had two each. I definately could have had double that portion because they are delicious!
The recipe is low gluten , dairy free, egg free and refined sugar free. Enjoy !
|Simple Vegan Spelt Banana Waffles|| |
- 1 cup wholemeal spelt flour
- ¼ cup quick oats or oat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250 ml of soy or almond milk
- 2 ripe bananas - mashed
- PEANUT BUTTER SYRUP:
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup smooth peanut butter
- Mash bananas then mix all ingredients together in a bowl until a pancake batter develops.
- Spray waffle iron with a little oil. Spread a couple of tablespoons of mixture in the waffle maker and cook according to waffle maker instructions.
- Mix peanut butter and maple syrup together in a bowl until smooth
- Serve with peanut butter syrup and toppings of choice