Vegan Banana Buckwheat Pancake and Waffle Recipe
I have been fiddling around with a buckwheat pancake/waffle recipe for a while. I used to love having a gluten free packet buckwheat pancake mix from time to time but I always found it incredibly heavy and dense. Not only that but although the list of ingredients in the pancake mix were not all together bad, I decided there were way too many ingredients in there for a simple pancake. Most of which were very starchy. I really wanted to stick to buckwheat because I love buckwheat. Buckwheat is very easy on the digestion, contains no gluten as is a seed not a grain, is highly alkalizing and high in various vitamins, minerals and plant based protein. I’m actually always on the lookout for different ways I can get more buckwheat into my diet. Its also one of the only “grains” that my mum can eat without it leading to heartburn. So I came up with this and I am so glad I did because its so much lighter and actually tastes a lot more like a traditional pancake compared to the packet mix I have been having. The hardest thing about creating a vegan pancake/ waffle is replacing the eggs. For me I found that banana works great however it does give a banana flavour, which I love! For some reason you can taste the banana more in the pancake compared to the waffle. If you don’t like banana you can try replacing with applesauce. Hope you give this a try. I’m not going back to packet mix now!
|Vegan Banana Buckwheat Pancake and Waffle Recipe|| |
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- ¼ cup wholemeal spelt four (use oat or almond flour for completely glutenfree)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250 ml of soy or almond milk
- 2 ripe bananas - mashed
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until a pancake batter develops.
- Lightly grease a fry pan with coconut oil and heat on medium heat
- Use about ¼ cup measurements and fry on one side until even amount of bubbles develop and flip over to cook other side
- Alternatively spray waffle iron with a little oil. Spread mixture in waffle maker and cook according to waffle maker instructions.