Carrot cake wasn’t really a thing for us growing up so I definitely don’t have much experience with it. The first carrot cake I tried was a raw vegan version with macadamia frosting. Unfortunately, I really didn’t enjoy it. It basically tasted like raw carrots and I found it quite difficult to make. This year I really wanted to try out a more authentic carrot cake in the hopes of finding something to make for Easter. As much as I love chocolate, I have never made anything Easter like for my blog before! Easter eggs are way too hard for me to attempt so I don’t think I’m ever going to get there. I figured carrot cake was a nice simple alternative.
I’ve called this carrot cake a slice but I think its more of a sheet-pan cake? It was delicious and made a generous amount of portions. We actually didn’t even photograph the entire cake/slice because it was so large! I love the overall texture of this cake, it turned out so soft and spongey and didn’t carry a heavy carrot taste like the raw carrot cake version. I love that the cake is made with wholesome ingredients and is completely refined sugar-free and sweetened only with coconut sugar and applesauce which acts like an egg replacer and a mild sweetener as well. The cake is already low gluten ( most gluten sensitive people can handle spelt) but can be made gluten-free by using a gluten-free flour blend instead. It may not give the same rise but I think it will still turn out delicious.
I am absolutely horrible at making vegan frosting so as you would have noticed from many of my other desserts that require frosting I like to use store bought vegan yogurt! I think it works great and is probably a little healthier too provided you use a good quality yogurt. I’m definitely not talented enough to make the little carrots in the photos. Those were plastic toy carrots I picked up from a bargain store to use as decorations. They are not edible by any means but it served the purpose of making my cake look more like it was intended for Easter!
The recipe was adapted/inspired by Love and Lemons
|Vegan Refined Sugar Free Carrot Cake Slice with Coconut Yogurt Frosting|| |
- 2¼ cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup grape seed oil
- 2 cups grated carrots, medium-packed
- Vegan coconut yogurt and chopped walnuts.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C and lightly grease a slice baking tray.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the applesauce, almond milk, vanilla and oil.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients.
- Fold in the carrots and stir until just combined.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once cooled dollop and spread some coconut yogurt and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.