Since having the baby I find it so much more difficult to find the time to make any treats for the blog. I really find this hard to understand as I seemed to have more time when I was working full time. But I guess motherhood is a 24 hour 7 days (and nights) a week job and my normal job was a lot less than that! Beyond that my new mum brain is a lot less creative than it used to be. I feel like so many areas of my brain have shut off since having a baby and I’m simply not the person I once was. That’s totally ok ! I love my new mum self and am much happier than I was stuck in a job I absolutely hated. The point I’m getting to is that because of my new mumness I’m now trying to cook my blog treats in bulk and use the same base or filling for example for different things . It saves me so much time and adding a few different ingredients can totally change the flavour and texture of the recipe .
For this particur recipe I made a double portion and turned one into a slice and one into a cake. I’m so glad I did because this one is a definite favourite for all of us and I liked having leftovers in the freezer to pop out for dessert. I’ve added the measurements for just one (either slice or cake) but if you want to make both like I did , just double the portions and split evenly.
This recipe is a complete redo of a similar cookies and cream cake I posted up years ago. It’s much simpler to make and also in my opinion a lot more delicious too! I personally can find the chocolate chips a little too crunchy for the slice. It’s not quite the same feel is an ooey chocolate chip cookie, so I only added a few. My husband actually loves chocolate chips and eats them by the handful so he loved this slice even more than I did (I find this strange as he grinds his teeth and is always in pain when he eats something crunchy but whatever works !)
For the cake I also added a basic chocolate sauce using equal parts maple syrup , melted coconut oil and cacao powder . It made it a little more indulgent but for this particular recipe I actually prefer it in slice form. It looks super cute and is a better size for snacking.
As always the recipe is vegan, refined sugar free, gluten free, dairy free and delicious . Enjoy!
|Vegan Choc Chip Cookies & Cream Slice or Cake|| |
- ½ cup oats ( gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 cup blanched almond meal
- ½ cup cacao powder
- 2 TBSP grapeseed or sunflower oil
- pinch salt
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- 1½ cups pre-soaked raw cashews
- ½ cup coconut cream
- 1½ TBSP coconut oil
- ¼ cup water if needed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- For the base: whiz the oats in a blender or food processor until they become a flour.
- Mix all the crust ingredients in a bowl with a spoon until slightly sticky and moist.
- Press the mixture evenly on the base and sides of a lightly greased square or round cake tin.
- Bake the crust for 12 - 15 minutes at 180 C
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before adding filling.
- For the filling, add all the ingredients except chocolate chips in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Fold in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Pour filling over base and chill in the freezer for about 4 hours until set.
- Allow to that slightly before cutting.