Vegan Chocolate Olive Oil Cake
It’s crazy to think that once upon a time I didn’t love olive oil. I used to find it too strong but somewhere along the line something switched in me and now I can’t get enough of it. It’s by far my most favourite oil to cook with and literally all of my salads have olive oil dressing. My husband has an olive oil obsession, he drizzles it on absolutely everything, to the point where many people have commented on how much olive oil he uses. We love it! And go through much too much of it in our house. For us the stronger the olive oil the better.
I thought I’d take our love of olive oil to the next level and use it in a cake! It’s not something I think I’ve ever done before as most cakes call for neutral tasting oils. I used a fairly strong tasting olive oil for this cake and the flavour definitely did come through, especially in the sauce. It was different but we loved it. It had a very light feeling overall but if your a little concerned about the strong flavour just use a light extra virgin olive oil. I used a medium flavour olive oil from Moro, which I think is really high quality.
Although I’m not the best baker and generally tend towards raw desserts I think this cake was still just as wholesome and delicious, very easy to make even if your not a probaker like me and overall a big success! Hope you enjoy the recipe !
|Vegan Chocolate Olive Oil Cake with Chocolate Olive Oil Sauce|| |
- 1½ cups wholemeal spelt flour
- ¾ cup cacao powder
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 1½ cups coconut sugar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp decaf instant coffee granules ( I used bamu cereal coffee)
- 1½ cups almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Drop vanilla extract
- For the cake: sift together the spelt flour, cacao powder, baking soda coconut sugar, coffee granules and salt in a large bowl.
- In a seperate bowl combine the olive oil , almond milk and vinegar and mix well.
- Pour the olive oil mixture over the flour mixture and mix well.
- Pour batter in to a lightly greased cake tin and bake at 180 C for about 40 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- For the sauce mix all the sauce ingredients together until smooth.
- Drizzle over cake and serve with berries or any toppings you like.