Vegan Chocolate & Vanilla Custard Tarts
This is actually such a speedy recipe. I’ve called it custard but there definitely is no actual custard making . I tried making vegan custard before out of soy milk and it was a complete disaster! I swore I’d never try it again! Sad because I have always loved custard so much. Thank goodness for silken tofu! I love that stuff. It makes the best custard with hardly any effort at all. It’s so funny to think that before becoming plant based I was terrified of tofu. Now I love it so much .
Ive photographed this recipe with a good vanilla paste from heilala vanilla because I think it’s really important to use a good quality vanilla in raw treats. The flavour stands out more and you don’t want the horrible alcohol taste in your food! When I first started with healthy cooking I was using the usual vanilla essence because I didn’t know any better. A little while later I found out most vanilla essence has zero actual vanilla in it so I switched to good quality extract, paste or just plane old vanilla powder ( I don’t like scraping vanilla beans). I’ve never turned back and now add vanilla in pretty much everything because the flavour and aroma is just so beautiful!
These tarts use hazelnuts in the base because they are my favourite but you can use any nut you like. If you switch out the nuts you may need to omit the coconut oil as hazelnuts are quite dry and don’t like to give off their oils as quickly as most other nuts. The recipe is gluten free, dairy free, egg free and refined sugar free . Enjoy!
|Vegan Chocolate & Vanilla Custard Tarts|| |
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1 TBSP cacao powder
- ½ cup pitted dates
- ½ tsp vanilla paste
- Pinch cinnamon
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- 1 packet organic silken tofu
- Juice half a lemon
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- figs and berries as toppings
- For the base: combine all base ingredients into a food processor and process until mixture comes together and is sticky. You may need to add a little more coconut oil if your hazelnuts are very dry.
- Press mixture along the base and sides of your mini tart moulds and set aside.
- For the custard: blend all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour custard over tart bases and smooth with spatula and top with berries or any toppings you like
- Enjoy straight away, no need for setting. Or keep in the fridge for later