Vegan Lentil Spaghetti Bolognese
My savoury recipes are always so difficult to share. Generally because I’m not as confident with savoury as I am with sweet things but also because I just eye ball everything and cook according to our families taste and preference. Regardless, I wanted to share one of our family favourites . Spaghetti is just so much fun with kids! As much as there are times when I’m very much sick of dealing with the mess, for the most part I love watching the baby have the time of his life playing with his food! (Don’t worry I make sure he actually eats some of it too, and he loves it!)
There are literally thousands of Lentil Bolognese recipes online. I’m not claiming that mine is any better, but I have managed to simplify the process down a fair bit so that something that once took forever is now a quick and easy process. Plus the sauce freezes great!
This is a hearty veggie packed Bolognese that relies on lentils and mushrooms for protein . We always use wholewheat spaghetti except for the odd occasion where we sometimes use spelt. Wholewheat pasta is actually so much more nutritious than typical white pasta. It’s loaded with essential minerals, vitamins and 3 times more fibre than the white stuff so a lot less likely to leave you bloated ( less calories too). All in all the meal is super nutritious and the best comfort food! I generally serve it with my vegan Parmesan . I’ll link the recipe for the Parmesan here: http://hazelandcacao.com/vegan-parmesan-cheese/
|Vegan Lentil Spaghetti Bolognese|| |
- Wholewheat spaghetti or spaghetti of choice
- 1 can organic lentils or ½ cup dry brown lentils
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion- diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic - crushed
- 10 button mushrooms
- 1 large carrot
- 1 zucchini
- 3 celery sticks
- 1 cup organic passata sauce (pure tomato sauce/puree)
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- Himalayan salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp paprika
- 2 tsp Italian herbs
- 1 tsp maple syrup ( optional to cut acidity)
- Cook spaghetti according to packet directions
- If using dried lentils, soak lentils before cooking. Bring to a boil with 1 cup water, reduce heatt and let simmer uncovered for 20 - 30 minutes until well cooked ( but not mushy)
- If using canned lentils, rinse thoroughly and set aside
- In a food processor, process mushrooms until fine. Attach the grater attachment and process the carrot, zucchini and celery and set aside.
- In a saucepan, fry diced onion in olive oil, once lightly browned add crushed garlic ( being careful not to burn)
- Add all the veggies from the food processor and cook for until soft, veggies have lost their water and the water has evaporated.
- Add tomato passata sauce, and tomato paste, mix well, reduce heat and allow to simmer, covered for about 20 minutes or more. ( the longer it cooks, the more flavourful)
- Stir in lentils, salt pepper and herbs and cook for a few more minutes. I actually add salt and pepper as I go, make sure you add according to your own taste.
- Add optional maple syrup, stir in and serve on top of cooked spaghetti. Serve with vegan parmesan or parmesan of choice and garnish with extra herbs