Vegan Overnight Oats with Blackberry Chia Jam Swirl
Well I think it is about time I share my version of overnight oats. Overnight oats have become very popular lately. I love having them on a regular basis. Its just so convenient to pull out your ready made breakfast out of the fridge in the morning especially when your in a rush.
Most vegan overnight oats simply consist of rolled oats, chia seeds and plant based milk. I have noticed that my vegan version is somewhat different to most and although it is more complicated, in my opinion it is definitely worth it for the taste. The reason my version is a little different is because I based my overnight oats on the traditional way of making them which is to combine oats with chia seeds, milk and greek yoghurt. This gives a thicker consistency and also a lot more filling. This is important for me because I have my breakfast easy before I go to work and usually do not get a chance to eat until 1pm. That’s a whole seven hours without food! And although nothing will last anyone quite that long, the more filling I can make my breakfasts the better. I decided that instead of greek yohurt I would combine my overnight oats with my home made vanilla tofu yoghurt, which I use for everything and it also doubles up as a vanilla vegan custard. I will have a separate post for this yoghurt soon under the basic section because I have already used it in so many recipes.
|Vegan Overnight Oats with Blackberry Chia Jam Swirl|| |
- Vanilla tofu yoghurt:
- 1 packet organic silken tofu
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- juice half lemon
- drop vanilla extract
- Overnight oats:
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup tofu yoghurt (left overs can be stored in the fridge for about a week) or any vegan yoghurt
- ⅔ cup soy milk
- 1 TBSP chia seeds
- Blackberry Chia Jam Swirl:
- 1 cup blackberries fresh or frozen (or any berry)
- 1 TBSP chia seeds
- 1 TBSP raw honey or maple syrup
- To make your tofu yoghurt whiz all the ingredients together in a blender until smooth. Set aside
- For blackberry chia jam swirl: Whiz all ingredients together in a blender until smooth and set aside for at least 20 minutes before using. Left overs will keep in the fridge for about a week and can be used as regular jam
- For the overnight oats: mix all the ingredients together in a bowl or jar and set in the fridge overnight or for at least 2 hours.
- Top with blackberry chia jam blackberries, blueberries, pumpkin seeds and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon
- Alternatively top with whatever you like ☺