Ive always been a little terrified of making my own nut butters because the first time I tried to make my own hazelnut butter my food processor overheated after 30 minutes of running non stop and I thought I’d ruined it. But I’ve decided that’s because hazelnuts aren’t all that oily and take forever to release their oils (also clearly my food processor wasn’t strong enough ).
I figured that pecan butter butter would be way easier to make as it’s a much fattier and softer nut. I was right ! It was creamy and delicious in under 3 minutes . I’ve never seen commercial pecan butter before which is why I decided to make my own but if you live in a part of the world that sells pecan butter feel free to buy it and save yourself an extra step . Making your own is a lot cheaper though!
I’ve been seeing a lot of pecan cookies in the lead up to Christmas and really wanted to try some myself . Believe it or not I ended up taking these cookies to a birthday party and I didn’t even end up trying them! Thankfully I did try the cookie batter so I know they were delicious ! Am hoping the texture was good too (every body else seemed to like them ).
The cookies are vegan , refined sugar free and gluten free provided you use gluten free oats . Enjoy!
|Vegan Pecan Butter Cookies|| |
- 1¼ cup almond meal
- ¼ cup oats
- ⅛ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup pecan butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- 2½ TBSP coconut oil
- pecans to decorate
- Begin by making your pecan butter. Roast pecans at 180 C for 10 minutes. Process in food processor for a few minutes until they turn into a butter, transfer to a jar and set aside. I make a big batch and store the rest in the fridge.
- Add all your ingredients into one big bowl. I like to add the dry ingredients first and then add the coconut oil and maple syrup and pecan butter last.
- Mix well until a cookie dough is formed
- Create cookie shapes by rolling heaped TBSP amounts into a ball and then pressing them down with your fingers until they form a cookie shape. Press 1 pecan into the top of each cookie
- Bake on a lightly greased or lined baking tray for 10 - 12 minutes at 170 C.
- Makes about 12 cookies in total