Vegan Spelt Gingerbread Muffins
Im going to begin by saying my blog posts are most likely going to get shorter and shorter since I have to write when baby naps and thats not a lot of time! But I am so happy I have been able to get a little cooking in for the christmas season. I absolutely love gingerbread its not easy making vegan gingerbread cookies. The lack of egg makes them very difficult to roll and I find the whole experience quite stressful and finicky. I will of course attempt more recipes to simplify the process but in the mean time I thought gingerbread muffins were a much easier way to enjoy classic gingerbread flavours without the stress!
I was inspired by a gingerbread muffin recipe from Ambitious Kitchen which I veganized and tweaked to my liking. The muffins have an authentic taste although as with many vegan baking situations the rise is not quite as high as I would like. It is however sufficient and they have a very nice fluffy texture! The molasses and wholemeal spelt flour make the muffins look quite dark in colour, almost like a chocolate muffin but they taste amazing. You can sub white spelt flour for a less dark colour if you prefer. I loved eating the muffins for breakfast with lots of berries. They would also work quite nicely with a cashew glaze if you have the time to whip some up ( I wish I did) enjoy!
|Vegan Spelt Gingerbread Muffins|| |
- 1½ cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp cloves
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 3 TBSP coconut oil ( or oil of choice)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 flax egg
- ⅓ cup applesauce
- ½ cup almond milk
- coconut sugar from sprinkling ( optional)
- Begin by making your flax egg. Combine 1 TBSP of flax seeds with 3 TBSP of water and set aside for about 10 minutes until a gel like texture forms. You can use whole or ground flax seeds.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, spices, salt, baking powder and baking soda
- In a seperate bowl mix together oil, maple syrup, molasses, flax egg, applesauce and almond milk.
- Gently pour your wet mixture over your dry one and mix until just combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly into a lined muffin tin.
- Sprinkle a little coconut sugar over the top if desired.
- Bake at 180 C for 15 - 20 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!