Vegan Vanilla Custard/Yogurt
I use this recipe mostly as a yogurt alternative although it probably tastes a little more like custard. I use it for both and have already mentioned it in many of my recipes. I never really liked real yogurt as a child and I still don’t really enjoy it. I am however obsessed with this vanilla soy yogurt. It just tastes better! I did eat a few store bough vanilla yogurt options before I discovered this but I knew I wanted to give them up because of all the sugar they came with as well as a few other un wholesome ingredients. I was actually terrified of trying this recipe because tofu in yogurt just sounded disgusting to me. I even bought myself a yogurt maker and tried to make my own soy yogurt from scratch just to avoid the tofu situation but failed miserably every time. Honestly it’s delicious! Don’t be afraid to try it! I had to become more open to the idea of tofu in general because once I got used to it and found a good quality tofu that was organic and properly made it has become one of the most versatile foods in my kitchen.
|Vegan Vanilla Custard/Yogurt|| |
- 1 packet organic silken tofu
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- drop of vanilla extract
- 1 good quality probiotic capsule (optional)
- Drain the tofu of excess water. Add all ingredients in a blender and blend for about 30 sec until smooth. Transfer to glass jar. Will last in the fridge for about a week.
- * The yogurt can separate in the fridge and look gluggy. Just stir it with a spoon and it returns to normal
- * the probiotic offers a more authentic yogurt however the yogurt will thicken and sour slightly with the probiotic. Might be worth adding a dash of extra soy milk if it gets too thick looking.