I’m sharing a recipe that I think a lot of people might find a little weird, because people aren’t used to having rice for breakfast. I actually love rice for breakfast! It’s incredibly filling and satisfying ! My husband and I have been having this porridge every single Saturday morning for about 5 years. We love it! Now that Bub is here I blend a small portion for him to eat along with us and he really loves it too!
I first discovered this porridge at a church outreach breakfast where they were holding health talks for the community. I loved it so much I attempted to recreate it at home and made it even better! The recipe is basically just a combination of brown rice , walnuts , grated apple and vanilla soy yogurt. When I was first making it I used some store bought vanilla soy yogurt but I became concerned about all the added sugar and a few other questionable ingredients so I began to make my own yogurt at home (link to my vanilla soy yogurt here) . You can of course use any vanilla yogurt you like. The recipe is gluten free, dairy free and provided you use a good yogurt, refined sugar free as well.
I should quickly mention that this is a cold porridge. I have all my porridge cold because I live in the tropics and the idea of warm porridge makes me feel yuck. This porridge is meant to be eaten cold so I have never tried it warm. It could be nice? I don’t know!
|Vegan Cold Apple Walnut Brown Rice Porridge|| |
- ½ cup brown rice
- 2 apples grated
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 cup vanilla soy yogurt
- Handful sultanas (optional)
- Raw honey or maple syrup to serve
- Cook rice according to package directions and set aside. I cook mine the night before and leave it in the fridge until breakfast the next morning
- Grate 2 apples
- Crush walnuts into fine crumb using food processor
- Combine rice, crushed walnuts, grated apple and soy yogurt and mix until well combined and the rice starts to absorb a little of the yogurt
- Throw in optional sultanas
- Serve and enjoy with a little extra soy milk and raw honey or maple syrup drizzle for some extra sweetness if needed.
- Top with any additional toppings you like