Ever since I’ve been making my easy peanut butter granola, all the other granolas I eat have been very neglected. I had a couple of batches of orange granola as well as mandarin granola (they taste very similar) in my fridge and figured that they were getting a bit old so I decided to do something with them and turn them into desserts! I absolutely loved this idea to use up granola before it goes old and you can use any granola you want!
For this particular recipe my orange pistachio granola works really well. You can find the recipe for it here: https://hazelandcacao.com/orange-pistachio-granola/ but you can use any oat based granola you want! I don’t think it will work for grain free granola? As I think it may turn out too oily without the oats but it might? If you want to give your granola and orange flavour simply zest or grate some orange peel and add it to your granola batch before baking. If you already have cooked granola and want to make it taste like orange: Just bake some grated orange peel from about 1 orange for 20 minutes or so and mix it into you granola. It gives quite a strong citrusy flavour so that’s really all you need to do! (Provided the flavours don’t clash) .
Beyond that I was looking for a way to use up some more of my essential oils . They give off a beautiful subtle orange flavour. The texture of this filling was so good! Perfectly creamy but firm! This recipe is one of my favourite non chocolate recipes to date! I served them up to some guests that were visiting from Japan and they were so impressed they asked if they came from a patisserie (was quite the compliment for me).
Remember to use gluten free oats in your granola to keep this recipe gluten free . Hope you enjoy this one as much as I did!
|Mostly Raw Vegan Orange Cream Cakes with Essential Oils|| |
- 1 cup pre-made orange flavoured granola*
- ¼ cup pitted dates
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups raw cashews ( soaked for 3-4 hours or overnight)
- 4 TBSP maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup melted cacao butter
- 4 - 5 drops orange essential oil
- 2 TBSP almond milk
- For the base: process ingredients in food processor until sticky and crumbly. If too wet, add more shredded coconut.
- Press into the base of lightly greased muffin tin or mini cheesecake tins
- For the filling: melt down your cacao butter over low heat and set aside
- Place the cashews, maple syrup, vanilla, essential oils and almond milk in a high speed blender and blend until as smooth as possible
- Slowly add in your melted cacao butter and blend again until smooth and creamy
- Pour the filling over the based and smooth out the top with a spoon. I like to tap or shake the tin gently to get a perfectly smooth surface.
- Set in the freezer for 2- 4 hours or overnight.
- Top with chopped pecans or toppings of choice
- Allow to thaw slightly before serving.
- *any oat based granola will work, to add orange flavour simply add some grated orange peel and bake for 20 mins. See description above for more instructions