Summer Kiwi and Macadamia Raw Vegan Tart
This tart goes out to Maddy. He is one crazy macadamia fan. He eats a handful almost every day. It was pretty hard for him not to pick at this cake while he photographed it. The original recipe for this was the very first raw vegan cake I ever attempted from “The Earth Diet” It was topped with mixed berries. I remember being so surprised at how similar it tasted to a real cheesecake except, without a doubt better! I was never the biggest fan of cheesecake because I found them very heavy. I found it difficult getting through a piece without feeling sick. This vegan cheesecake had the complete opposite effect. I could have eaten so much more of it because it was so much lighter. The only difference I could tell with the taste was that I just liked it more. I don’t know what it was exactly about it, but I just thought it was better. I was also pretty happy I found a way to get more nuts
into my diet that didn’t involve snacking. I decided to make this tart because I had a lot of kiwi’s that I needed to use up. I think the combination of kiwi, lemon coconut and macadamia make it a perfect summer desert, however you can top it with whatever toppings you like. I use this as my basic raw vegan cake recipe and change up the fruit depending on what I feel like. It works beautifully with berries or some more tropical type fruit like passionfruit. The recipe is raw, vegan, gluten free and refined sugar free.
|Summer Kiwi and Macadamia Raw Vegan Tart|| |
- 2 cups macadamia nuts (soaked for at least 5 hours)
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- ½ cup pitted dates
- 1 ½ cups cashews (soaked for at least 5 hours)
- 6 TBSP melted coconut oil
- 6 TBSP water
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- kiwi and macadamia nuts as a garnish
- For the crust: sprinkle desiccated coconut over the base of 20cm tart tin.
- Process macadamia’s and dates in a food processor until the mixture comes together well and becomes sticky.
- Press crust mixture evenly on base and sides of the tin.
- For the filling: Add all the filling ingredients except for kiwi and macadamia’s into a high-speed blender and blend for 1-2 minutes until smooth.
- Pour filling over crust and freeze for at least 2 hours until set.
- Decorate with kiwi fruit and chopped macadamias (or any toppings you wish).
- Defrost before serving.
- Stores well in fridge or freezer. Keep in freezer for a hard slice or in the fridge for soft cheesecake. Enjoy!