Sweet Potato and Persimmon Salad with Pomegranates
This salad is actually one I have quite often for lunch, especially when pomegranates are available. However after buying a few persimmons just because they were in season and looked so pretty; I needed to figure out what to do with them. Adding them to this simple sweet potato salad was really delicious and much more impressive to look at as well. It has now not only become one of my favourite go to lunchtime salads but also a salad I would love to showcase at a casual dinner/lunch with guests. The salad is full of beta-carotene from the sweet potatoes and persimmons and mineral rich from lots of baby kale. The flavours really compliment beautifully. The salad works great with some feta cheese but if you are completely avoiding dairy you can omit or use some of my vegan cream cheese to mix through (as featured in the photo) or any other vegan cheese alternative. You can find the recipe for my cream cheese here. If your looking for something to do with persimmons, I hope you give this salad a go.
|Sweet Potato and Persimmon Salad with Pomegranates|| |
- 1 large sweet potato
- Cajun spice to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 -2 persimmon
- 2 large handfuls of baby kale leaves or greens of choice
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- crumbled feta cheese or vegan cream cheese (link in description) –optional
- Drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice
- Begin by peeling your sweet potato and cutting into small cubes
- Place sweet potatoes in a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil, salt and Cajun spice.
- Roast in oven for about 30 min at 180 C or until golden and crispy looking
- Slice persimmons into thin rounds
- Once sweet potatoes have cooked and cooled slightly assemble your salad using all your salad ingredients and drizzle with a little extra olive oil and lemon juice