Vegan Oat Banana Pancakes with Chocolate Peanut Butter Sauce
I do always worry about egg less pancakes because the texture is never the same and they do run the risk of falling apart when your trying to flip them. Personally I think that when you have been cooking plant based for a while, you no longer care about things tasting like the original and start to appreciate foods for what they are, even if they are different. I know that at the moment many of my readers are transitioning into a plant based diet and the new flavours and textures can take a while to get used to at the beginning. I do try and keep things as traditional tasting as possible when appropriate, and when they are nothing like the original then I will make sure to tell you ( like this recipe).
I really wanted to keep the recipe as simple as possible since the star of the show was the chocolate peanut butter sauce that I was experimenting with for Mayvers using their peanut cacao spread. I was pretty confident that anything you put the sauce on was going to taste amazing. But because of this, my pancakes definitely did not come out tasting traditional in the slightest. They were grainy and very moist but the thing is, we loved them. I love experimenting with different pancake batters made with different flours. My husband said that out of all the pancake mixtures I have ever made these were by far his favourite. I am not sure why since as I mentioned the texture is very different, but they really are yummy in their own right and very breakfasty, wholesome, filling and nutritious and the sauce really is amazing.
The Mayvers Cacao Peanut Spread is an unsweetened mixture of peanut butter and cacao powder (only 2 ingredients) If you can not find Mayvers where you live or a similar peanut cacao spread you can add 1 TBSP of cacao powder to a smooth peanut butter of your choice and continue making the sauce from there.
Hope you enjoy the recipe, really perfect for lazy Sunday mornings !
|Vegan Oat Banana Pancakes with Chocolate Peanut Butter Sauce|| |
- 1¼ cup rolled oats ( use gluten free oats if necessary)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 medium ripe bananas - mashed
- 250 ml almond milk
- CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER SAUCE:
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup Mayvers Peanut Cacao spread*
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- PANCAKES: Begin by blitzing your rolled oats in a food processor until they form a fine flour. The finer you make it the less grainy your pancakes will turn out. Alternatively you can use store bought oat flour for a very fine consistency
- Add your oat flour to a large bowl and add baking powder and cinnamon
- Add your mashed banana, almond milk and vanilla extract and mix well with a spoon until a batter forms
- Fry ¼ cup measurments on a fry pan with a little oil on medium heat for a few seconds on each side or until you start to notice bubbles form and the edges turn slightly golden
- SAUCE: mix all sauce ingredients in a small bowl
- drizzle over your pancakes and serve with strawberries and raspberries
- * you can add 1 TBSP cacao powder to a smooth peanut butter and mix together with the vanilla and maple syrup if you can not find a cacao peanut spread. See description above for more details