Vegan Vanilla Custard/Yogurt
I use this recipe mostly as a yogurt alternative although it probably tastes a little more like custard. I use it for both and have already mentioned it in many of my recipes. I never really liked real yogurt as a child and I still don’t really enjoy it. I am however obsessed with this vanilla soy yogurt. It just tastes better! I did eat a few store-bought vanilla yogurt options before I discovered this but I knew I wanted to give them up because of all the sugar they came with as well as a few other unwholesome ingredients. I was actually terrified of trying this recipe because tofu in yogurt just sounded disgusting to me. I even bought myself a yogurt maker (Kitchenistic has a nice yogurt maker review ) and tried to make my own soy yogurt from scratch just to avoid the tofu situation but failed miserably every time. Honestly, it’s delicious! Don’t be afraid to try it! I had to become more open to the idea of tofu in general because once I got used to it and found good quality tofu that was organic and properly made it has become one of the most versatile foods in my kitchen.
|Vegan Vanilla Custard/Yogurt|| |
- 1 packet organic silken tofu
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- drop of vanilla extract
- 1 good quality probiotic capsule (optional)
- Drain the tofu of excess water. Add all ingredients in a blender and blend for about 30 sec until smooth. Transfer to a glass jar. It Will last in the fridge for about a week.
- * The yogurt can separate in the fridge and look gluggy. Just stir it with a spoon and it returns to normal
- * the probiotic offers a more authentic yogurt however the yogurt will thicken and sour slightly with the probiotic. It might be worth adding a dash of extra soy milk if it gets too thick looking.