I first tried this recipe from my mum. She got it off a Romanian vegan cook somewhere and the recipe was passed along between mums friends. I wish I could give credit to the original recipe creator but I have adapted this recipe out of a faxed sheet of paper my mum got from a friend. It’s definitely not the type of recipe I would usually come up with on my own but I love it! I don’t enjoy a whole lot of Romanian food but I always loved their vegetable pates. I had to stop eating them when I realised how incredibly processed and unhealthy they were. This doesn’t really resemble the pates I used to eat but it’s got the best Mediterranean type flavour and is such a versatile little concoction that I find myself making it all the time! You may remember me making a pasta salad with this exact paste not too long ago (but in smaller amount) .
I just wanted to add that I don’t particularly like raw garlic so I used garlic powder on this recipe. If you like it, add one clove of garlic instead for a more intense flavour. Hope you like this as much as me !
|Vegan Walnut Sundried Tomato and Olive Pate/Dip|| |
- 2 cup raw walnuts ( soaked overnight)
- 1 TBSP tahini
- 3 TBSP sliced pitted black olives
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 small red capsicum
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 2 TBSP finely chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 2 tsp mixed mixed herbs of choice ( I used basil and oregano)
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until a sense paste forms.
- You may need to stop to scrape down the sides every once in a while
- Transfer into an airtight container and store in the fridge up to a week. Also stores very well in the freezer .
- Use as a pate or spread on crackers, bread as a pasta sauce or as a dip