Almond Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
Before I got pregnant I never ever snacked! Snacking actually really upset my digestion. Based on all the research I did it is healthy to allow your stomach/digestive system a good 5-6 hours in between meals so that it can properly digest your food, especially if your like me and enjoy having a large comforting well balanced meal. Once I got pregnant my hormones started changing my digestion so that it can provide extra nutrients for the baby. Now I feel hungry about every 3 hours and so I have turned into a snacker! I especially need to be prepared for work and have some easy to grab snacks for morning and afternoon tea. I made this recipe exactly for that reason because pregnancy hunger is real and I need something yummy to keep me going through the day. I don’t think there is anything wrong with having these as a grab and go breakfast either.
I love this recipe because of the almonds (and chocolate of course). I actually have had a few problems eating nuts while pregnant especially in the first trimester but have been able to have almonds from the beginning. There is something about them really agrees with my body. The bars are gluten free provided you use gluten free oats but are not 100% vegan because they use honey. I still really love honey and the health benefits it provides but if you are a strict vegan you can go ahead and use another sweetener. I would suggest a sticky sweetener like brown rice syrup so that you can get the right consistency.
This is one of those recipes that we photographed ages ago and I just never got around to putting up the blog post! I shared a sneak peak on Instagram so I know a lot of people have been waiting patiently for the recipe. I am sorry it has taken me so long, I believe most people have forgotten about it already but here it is!
The recipe is adapted from/ inspired by Cookie & Kate.
|Almond Chocolate Chip Granola Bars|| |
- 1¼ cup oats ( gluten free if necessary)
- ½ cup brown rice puffs
- 1⅓ cup sliced almonds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1 cup almond butter
- ½ cup raw honey or brown rice syrup if strict vegan
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup dark chocolate chips
- In a bowl mix together oats, brown rice puffs, sliced almond, cinnamon and salt
- In a seperate bowl mix together almond butter, honey or rice syrup and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Pour your wet mixture over your dry mixture.
- Add in chocolate chips and combine very well. The mixture is thick so make sure you incorporate everything well.
- Pack and press mixture into a bottom of a lined square baking dish. Add a few more chocolate chips on the top if desired.
- Bake for 15 mins at 160 C
- Allow to cool before cutting into bars.
- Can be stored in the fridge or freezer