Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies made with Almond Flour
Out of all the recipes I have uploaded to the blog, I have to say I am most excited about this one. This was one of the very first recipes I tried when I first started experimenting with healthy desserts, and I still love it more than many of my others. It is super easy and quick with only a few ingredients and very filling and nourishing. This recipe was originally inspired by a paleo recipe. Although I am mostly plant based, I love looking at paleo treats because they use nut flours in many of their desserts. Its easy enough to substitute the eggs if you need to and nut flours provide so many wonderful nutrients including a good dose of plant based protein and healthy fats. I also think that nut flours are a lot healthier than many gluten free flour alternatives if you need to avoid gluten.
Personally I really love almond meal. It is just delicious and almonds are packed with so with many of the nutrients I needed to help me recover from my imbalanced hormones and nutrient deficiencies. Why eat a handful of almonds when you can make cookies with them instead? The texture is of course a little different to a traditional cookie made with processed white flour, but I stand by the taste. In fact I will go so far to say that these are probably my favourite cookies of all time. They are so far anyway 🙂
I first tried a peanut butter choc chip cookie back in early high school in Home Ec class. Can you believe back then I hated cooking and yes I did actually fail Home Ec? Well to be fair, I failed the textiles part of Home Ec, not the cooking part, but I was not all that good at the cooking part either! This was back when I was 12 years old, and until I made this recipe I suffered a big void in my life for a peanut butter choc chip cookie! So glad I started making these! I really hope you love the recipe as much as I do. I have already shared it on my Instagram, but the recipe is too good to not get a blog post as well.
|Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies made with Almond Meal|| |
- 1 cup blanched almond meal
- ⅛ tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- ½ cup peanut butter ( crunchy or smooth does not matter)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- 2½ TBSP coconut oil
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- Add all your ingredients into one big bowl. I like to add the dry ingredients first and then add the coconut oil and maple syrup and peanut butter last.
- Mix well until a cookie dough is formed then fold in your chocolate chips.
- Create cookie shapes by rolling heaped TBSP amounts into a ball and then pressing them down with your fingers until they form a cookie shape
- Bake on a lightly greased or lined baking tray for 10 - 12 minutes at 170 C.
- Makes about 12 cookies in total