I can not tell you how long I have wanted to try a tofu frosting. I’ve had a recipe saved for over 6 years when I was right at the beginning of my health journey. I really don’t know why it’s taken me so long to try it but I think it has something to do with the fact that I’m insecure about baking and even more insecure about applying frosting. I’m literally terrified of those squeeze frosting tube things . I’m the furthest thing from a perfectionist and worry that my attempts at neat cupcake frosting will just destroy the whole thing and all my effort will go to waste.
I have to admit although this recipe worked I was a little dissapointed with the results. I even considered not publishing it but I decided I would because I’m sure someone out there will appreciate it. According to my husband the cake tastes like a muffin and according to me the frosting fell very short of my expectations. The frosting is impressive looking and handles well but it lacks the fatty goodness of real frosting or other vegan frostings that I’ve tried. That is my number 1 problem with it, however there are tons of people out there that follow a low fat plant based diet and so a tofu frosting is a really good option for them. The entire recipe is quite low fat in general. On the upside our baby absolutely loved this cake! He gobbled up an entire slice all by himself and I didn’t mind one bit because the cake is full of goodness.
So not my favourite recipe but still one that was worth experimenting with. I know I didn’t sell this recipe too well but if it fits your dietary needs and you end up trying it let me know your thoughts (especially on the frosting) .
|Vegan Vanilla Sponge Cake with Tofu Frosting and Blueberries|| |
- 1 ½ cups wholemeal spelt flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce*
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- TOFU FROSTING
- 2 cups organic firm tofu
- 2 TSBP grapeseed oil
- juice 1 lemon
- 4 TBSP maple syrup
- drop vanilla extract
- fresh blueberries for garnish
- For the frosting place everything in a food processor and process until smooth and creamy and set aside.
- For the sponge: Sift the flour, baking soda and baking powder through a fine mesh sieve into a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the applesauce, oil and coconut sugar until well combined then add vanilla and apple cider vinegar and mix again
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix together until just incorporated. Don’t over mix. Mixture should be light and fluffy
- Grease a round cake tine with a little coconut oil and pour batter into tin
- Bake at 180 C in preheated oven for 35-40min depending on your oven
- Remove from tin and allow to cool completely before cutting in half carefully .
- Place frosting on this inside layer as well as the top.
- Decorate with blueberries and serve