Raw Vegan Blackberry & White Chocolate Cheesecakes in a Jar
A little while a go I got a request for a raw vegan dessert that did not contain any dates or coconut oil. It really did surprise me how many raw desserts contain those ingredients and how difficult it is to find raw desserts that don’t have those ingredients in them. Dates can easily be substituted for other dried fruit, but when you are trying to avoid dried fruit all together it can be a little difficult. I know of many people that don’t like raw desserts because they don’t like coconut. The flavour really stands out to them even if it is minor. When I first started experimenting with raw desserts the flavour stood out to me too, but the more you I ate them, the less obvious it became. I don’t notice it at all anymore unless it is in savoury foods. Coconut oil is a hard one, since it is responsible for solidifying the dessert. The only other substitute I can think of is cacao butter which does the same thing but definitely ads a chocolatey taste.
So I set myself the challenge of creating a raw vegan dessert with no coconut oil and no dried fruit to see what I could come up with. I also had to come up with something easy that can be made in a university dorm room. The only non raw part of this is melting down the cacao butter which I personally do over a stove on low heat or in a double boiler. I am pretty sure that cacao butter will also melt down in the microwave, so problem solved.
This desserts is incredibly rich and delicious. It reminds me of one of those super rich desserts that are served up in tiny portions at 5 star restaurants. I actually remember having something similar to this at a fancy restaurant in Melbourne quite a few years ago. Next time I make this I will definitely serve it up in smaller portions. I just need to find some sort of mini mould that I am happy with or some smaller jars first. I can already tell I will be doing a million adaptations of this dessert. I cant want to do a top deck type dessert with this recipe soon! So here we go, only 6 ingredients easy, raw, vegan, gluten free dessert that is simple enough to make in a dorm room but tastes 5 star. Enjoy!
|Raw Vegan Blackberry & White Chocolate Cheesecakes in a Jar|| |
- 1 cup cashews - soaked overnight
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup cacao butter
- juice ½ lemon
- 1 cup frozen blackberries mixed with 1 TBSP raw honey or maple syrup
- Melt down your cacao butter until liquid on low heat or use a microwave.
- Add cashews, vanilla, maple syrup lemon and melted cacao butter in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour filling into small jars ( the smaller the better as it is very rich) and let sit in the freezer for 2- 3 hours until completely set.
- A few minutes before serving add 1 TBSP or raw honey or maple syrup in a small bowl. Add frozen blackberries to your bowl and let sit until thawed completely and all the juices escape. This will form a blackberry sauce. Mix around to make sure the honey/maple syrup has mixed through.
- Once the blackberry sauce is ready, add a few spoonfuls on top of your cheesecake jars and enjoy!