I made this quick vegan strawberry cheesecake for Valentine’s day and I am so glad I did because it tastes just like strawberry candy, but unlike candy which is full of sugar and lots of chemicals that are pretending to be strawberries, this cake uses 3 cups of real strawberries. Strawberries are a very high source of vitamin c. They are even higher than citrus fruits. Vitamin c is known to be essential for the adrenal glands and is one of the most anti-stress nutrients we can consume. This is important because stress (or anything that raises cortisol and adrenalin too high for too long) is at the base of nearly all hormonal imbalance. We also have clear studies showing that vitamin C helps boost progesterone levels and helps maintain a healthy corpus luteum. This is not only essential for pregnancy but also for moods as we need progesterone to help us stay calm.
The recipe for this strawberry vegan cake is fairly similar to many of my other recipes. For the toppings, I used a naturally sweetened strawberry jam. However, I have a recipe for a strawberry chia jam on my blog which you can find here. Chia jam is better in my opinion because it also adds some protein and fat to the jam which helps jam not spike blood sugar as much as regular jam (even naturally sweetened ones), the only problem with it is that it doesn’t last very long in the fridge before it goes off. I think cooking the strawberries would make it last much longer but I usually make my chia jam raw as it’s so much quicker. If you don’t want to add jam on the top, melted chocolate or a chocolate frosting would also taste delicious, or you can just leave it without. The recipe is vegan, dairy-free, refined sugar-free and gluten-free.
|Raw Vegan Strawberry Cheesecake with Chocolate Base|| |
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup cacao powder
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1½ cups cashews (soaked for 15 mins in boiling water or soak overnight)
- 1 400g can organic coconut cream
- ½ cup cacao butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups strawberries
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp pink pitaya powder (optional)
- Strawberry jam and chopped strawberries.
- Mix base ingredients in a bowl until sticky, press in the base of cake tin.
- Blend all filling ingredients in blender or food processor, pour over base and set in the freezer overnight. Once set, decorate with strawberry jam and chopped strawberries or toppings of choice
- *see description for link to strawberry chia jam recipe