Strawberry and Cream Cookie Sandwiches
This recipe was my attempt at making monte carlo biscuits. I have actually never really liked monte carlo’s so it probably was not a good idea for me to try and re create them as I couldn’t really remember what they tasted like. But Maddy really liked them. On the odd occasion he would buy himself a packet and sit down and finish the whole packet with a glass of soy milk while we watched a movie. He did this very rarely because he always felt sick afterward and I guess he needed time to forget about how sick they would make him feel before he bought himself another packet. I wanted to make them for him. The problem was they tasted absolutely nothing like them! I posted a sneak peak photo on instagram and asked for a few name suggestions. Loved some of the creative ideas! I settled for the strawberry and cream cookie sandwich… nothing too adventurous but its basically what they taste like. In my opinion much better than the original! The cookies are sandwiched with home made strawberry chia jam (you can find the recipe here https://hazelandcacao.com/strawberry-chia-jam/ ) and natural coconut yoghurt. I don’t know about any one else but my coconut yogurt goes a little hard in the fridge. I think every tub is a little different but I love it when it does this because you can spread it on stuff! like in these cookies and I have even used it to pipe it through a piping bag and it worked great! Yes it does melt eventually but it firms straight back up when you put it in the fridge. Also not everyone lives in stinking hot Townsville so I am sure it would stay firm much longer for many other people. For example, my coconut oil is never ever solid. Not even on our coldest winter days. I think its so funny when I watch cooking videos with coconut oil and everyone needs to melt it down before they use it. I have never once had to do that. But I digress, here is the recipe. The cookies are adapted from the Minimalist Baker blog, the link is here Follow it for step by step photos for the cookies (minus the chocolate chips and dried fruit) Enjoy!
|Strawberry and Cream Cookie Sandwiches|| |
- 1 cup dates
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 TBSP almond butter
- ¾ cup almond meal
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- Strawberry chia jam ( link in description)
- Natural coconut yogurt*
- For the cookies: combine all the ingredients in a food processor and blitz until smooth and sticky
- Roll about a TBSP amount of cookie dough into a ball and flatten into a round cookie shape. its best to wet your hands slightly as you do this as the cookie dough is very sticky.
- Place cookies on lightly greased baking tray and bake for 15 minutes and 180 C
- The cookies do not rise much so feel free to have them close together in the tray, as long as they do not touch
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before spreading some chia jam on the inside of one cookie and some coconut yogurt on the inside of another and sandwiching them together.
- * if your coconut yogurt is not firm enough to spread with a knife, you can freeze it for an hour or so and it will firm up.