Vegan Pasta Napoletana
I guess there are quite a few ways to say tomato based pasta sauce in Italian. I am sure they all mean different things and have slightly different ingredients, but I have always just called it napoletana because that seems to be what its called in restaurants when I go to order it. A simple based tomato pasta is one of my most favourite pasta dishes. I always order it when we eat at an Italian restaurant and love making it at home.
I used to make a really quick tomato pasta using a sauce from a store bought jar. It was only after I realised just how much refined sugar is put into those pasta sauces that I decided I needed to start making my own sauces from scratch. Even the highest quality, organic store bought versions always had loads of sugar in them so although it is a little more effort to make sauce from scratch it is definitely worth it for the extra flavour and lack of refined sugar!
I first started making this sauce based on a traditional recipe I found in a old giant pasta book I had lying around the house. I loved the taste but it did take quite a while since you had to boil, peel, chop and strain your own tomatoes. Over time I simplified the recipe and it honestly tastes exactly the same! I will still sometimes make the traditional version from scratch if I have lots of tomatoes that need using up or feel like taking my time in the kitchen but for the most part I make the simple version which I am sharing today. I am not on expert on traditional Italian cooking so I don’t feel comfortable sharing the traditional version on my blog as I am sure I would be doing something wrong! Beside my blog is all about simplifying the cooking process as much as possible while still getting maximum amount of nutrients.
I use wholemeal penne pasta or wholemeal spelt pasta when I make this dish but you can use any type of pasta you wish, including your favourite gluten free pasta. It would work great with gnocchi too! The sauce is loaded with lots of vitamin c from the tomatoes, and does not use any refined sugar to help regulate the acidity. We always like serving it with my vegan parmesan cheese. You can find the recipe for the parmesan cheese here https://hazelandcacao.com/vegan-parmesan-cheese/
|Vegan Pasta Napoletana|| |
- Pasta of choice
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 can organic diced tomatoes
- 1 cup organic passata sauce ( tomato puree)
- 1 TBSP maple syrup or coconut sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- handful of fresh basil chopped ( can sub for 1-2 TBSP dry basil)
- Extra basil and vegan parmesan cheese as garnish
- Cook pasta according your package directions.
- In a deep saucepan, gently fry your onion in olive oil until lightly browned.
- Add your crushed garlic and fry for a few more minutes until becomes fragrant
- Add can of diced tomatoes and simmer for about 10 minutes until the tomato chunks have softened and broken down slightly.
- Add passata sauce and simmer for another 5 minutes until heated through, making sure your heat is low and you use a lid as the sauce will spit out.
- Season well with salt and pepper to taste
- Mix in your maple syrup or coconut sugar and chopped basil, let heat through for another couple of minutes and remove from heat.
- Drain your pasta and mix in your tomato sauce
- Serve with extra basil and vegan parmesan cheese ( link above)